Thursday, October 25, 2007

Reaching the Coast

I could swear I’ve been on this road before, but at the same time I doubt myself. All these curves in and out of the mountains form one long road in my head with entirely interchangeable parts so it can fit where I happen to be at the time nostalgia strikes. Honestly though, I could swear I’ve been here…

Northern America and the Rockies are absolutely beautiful. It’s funny how no matter how many times you go and see the mountains or the Grand Canyon your jaw still drops. Our minds shrink memories to fit our perspective, as if these things are too massive to behold. The selfish tendencies of the human race give reason to the diminishing, we try and make it our own… to conquer it. That’ll never happen. Nature is just too BIG.

“I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding the map…” - Ben Gibbard

Ah yes, the old days, in which sailing too far in any direction would eventually send you plummeting into the oblivion of space-time over some massive Atlantic waterfall. Or maybe there was no waterfall… just nothingness.

Anyway, we’re on our way to Boise right now, and I thought I’d give you a little/big update on what’s happened since I last wrote. Kansas is down below, Englewood above it.

THE GOTHIC THEATRE
October 22, 2007
Englewood, CO

From where I was sitting, about 20 feet from the front door, which stayed open way too long that night, I could read the signatures from all the bands that had previously been behind the merch booth which included Saosin, Hot Snakes, etc. If you were to look upwards, the ceiling was carved out in a curvy dome shape and painted like the roof to a perfect summer day, cumulonimbus and all, but it was illuminated in red, and introduced an atmosphere suitable for the theatre’s title. I worked with this cool girl who is the head editor of FM Magazine. It’s a pretty sweet lifestyle magazine, so go check it out!

Once again I was outside of the actual venue part, so I couldn’t visually enjoy the show, but my auditory senses (yes, I have more than one) were more than satisfied! This was the first night I strongly experienced The Redwalls influence on new fans. The standard Redwalls fans were present, but the wave of customers didn’t come until after The Redwalls’ set, mostly raving about how good they were and wondering where they were from.

After the show we went back to the awesome hotel, and were pleasantly surprised to find champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for the guys. Don’t forget, the album release date was October 23rd! It was time to celebrate their accomplishment!

The next day was a not so early start, being that we were on no time constraints. Breakfast was a sit down meal at McDonald's, who's definitely hooked me into Monopoly this time. I normally steer clear of those little sticky game pieces, but this time... uh uh. I've almost won $1,000,000. I only need one more piece!

While we were there, Logan had ordered a tasty looking vanilla ice cream cone. But in the time it took him to devour the cheeseburger he also ordered, the ice cream had spent too much time in the warmth of indoor heating. It just started sinking over the sides of the cone, until he eventually salvaged the almost mess. He must of eaten it lopsidedly, because thirty seconds later the cone tipped itself over the edge of the table, and met it's end in a fist sized melty gob of ice cream on the floor.

Another day off in Wyoming, and then it's on to Boise (which I'm doing right now, if you had paid attention... Pay attention!)


Celebrating in our Denver hotel room.


The inverse hotel.

No comments: